It’s a measure of just how crazy things are around here that poor William turned 11 on March 5 and had to wait until tonight to have his party. And just a family party at that (which translates to probably 16 of us). [update: this being the year 2021, tomorrow we will host the family for a socially-distanced driveway event. William’s 19th birthday in 2020 was actually the last time our whole family gathered together for an indoor celebration. We talked about the virus and how some people were even suggesting families should not gather and at the time we thought it was over the top and could not imagine such a thing being necessary.]
So today, in honor of my baby boy, I will post TEN INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT WILLIAM.
1. William weighed 13 pounds and 5 ounces at birth and was 24 inches long. He was my first vaginal delivery after three C-sections. All three local news stations interviewed us, and the story was picked up nationally. I got emails from all over the country. Later one of the clips somehow ended up in an episode of Animal Planet entitled “Extreme Births.”
2. William is an extremely picky eater. I guarantee you that he is pickier than your picky eater. His favorite food is “the rolls at the Great American Steak and Buffet.” [which is sadly now defunct . . . his favorite now is probably Asian.]
3. William loves animals. “I love all God’s creatures,” he once opined as a small child. I think he has become a bot more discriminating since–he hates hippos and pigs, he told me today. But by far, his favorite animal is the cat. [update: William no longer hates hippos or pigs and would probably deny he ever said such a thing. His favorite animals are Felidae, Crocodilians, and Hyaenidae, in that order.]
4. William is obsessed with Aliens, or as they are apparently correctly called, xenomorphs. All he wanted for Christmas was Kenner alien toys from the 1990s.
5. William hates everything to do with school, even homeschooling. [and now online college]
6. William loves to play on the computer. He loves Roblox, and he creates awesome stick figure movies. He also spends a lot of time watching YouTube reviews of toys he hopes to get. [and these days researching politics, animals, mythology, and many other interests]
7. William is VERY stubborn. If he doesn’t want to do something, he pretty much won’t.
9. William and Lorelei play very well together. She is happy to follow his lead about the kind of games they play.
10. William hates shoes. We just went shoe shopping to replace the battered Crocs he had been wearing for months, and it was agonizing.