I mentioned in my most recent post that I was embarking upon an eight-week challenge to declutter my home. As I was taking my before and after pictures this week I thought it might be fun to share the process with you. Maybe you’ll be inspired to join in!
Week One was the Master Bedroom. I followed this order (one project each day for six days): Closet Clothes/Shoes; Closet Accessories; Closet Storage; Dressers; Books; Everything Else.
This was an easy week for me because I don’t have a lot of clothes and have not allowed much personal clutter to accumulate in the past six years since I suffered the forced minimalization of our house fire. The books were the exception, but I’ll get to that.
These aren’t the kind of pictures you’re used to seeing from me, y’all. They are purely utilitarian with bad lighting and indifferent focus. But they should serve the purpose.
Day One – I went through all the clothes and shoes in my closet.
Day Two – I went through my jewelry. I didn’t get rid of any earrings so that drawer is not shown here.
Day Three – I went through the luggage and the ridiculous collection of tote bags and whatever other random things I had in the closet.
Day Four – I went through two dressers. I don’t have a lot in my dressers as you will see, but I do have two “sentiment” drawers, one of which I put every card I think I want to keep, and I was able to get rid of some of those, as well as some things I had saved for sentimental value but could no longer remember what they were supposed to remind me of!
Day Five – OK, y’all, this was the hard day. One thing I’ve learned since the fire is what “things” are truly important to me. I can tell what they are because they are what I have accumulated a lot of in six years as opposed to everything else I have refrained from acquiring. And what they are, mostly, is BOOKS. So whereas I finished the tasks on the other days in less than an hour per day, the books took two hours and lots of help from Lorelei (she helped most of the other days too!). Anyway, I was very proud of myself when we were finished!
Day Six – This was easy, a cedar chest and a couple of piles of books so I didn’t take any pictures.
In the end, we removed two miscellaneous bags of clothing and accessories and two full boxes of books that will all leave the house, and we relocated a few items to other places (where we will face them again when we get to their new homes at the appropriate time!).
Next up: Bathrooms! I am so excited! I’ll try to post another update next weekend!
This is a great idea. I’ve been doing this since the first week of January, and I’ve already thrown out a lot of old stuff and I’ve even managed to gather plenty of other stuff to take to charity.
-Fabi at Wonder Fabi