For this year’s ObamaCare update, I am sharing five ObamaCare facts.
- The Affordable Care Act and ObamaCare refer to the same thing. I hope that’s obvious to you, but it isn’t to everyone–I have seen many a “man on the street” video with folks saying how awful ObamaCare is while in the same breath raving about the healthcare they receive under the Affordable Care Act.
- One ObamaCare provision requires your insurer to pay you back a portion of your premiums if they fail to spend a certain amount of their profits on patient care. This is the second year I have gotten an unexpected check in the mail.
- ObamaCare includes a yearly cap on out-of-pocket expenses. Once you reach that cap, all your care is free. The cap varies by insurance plan, and this year some of us will should be getting free care in December.
- The Affordable Care Act benefits you even if you don’t buy your insurance from the Marketplace or a state exchange. The ACA made it illegal for insurance companies to refuse to insure you or charge you more due to pre-existing conditions. This is a big freaking deal, and it is just one example of protections put into place by the ACA that apply to everyone.
- Enrollment is NOW OPEN at Healthcare.gov. If you are already covered by an ACA plan, it’s time to re-enroll. If you are currently uninsured or unhappy with the insurance you have, you can sign up until December 15, 2019.
For more of my writing on the Affordable Care Act aka ObamaCare, see below and click away!
The $64,000 Question, Answered
Who Are the Uninsured?
Uninsured No More
ObamaCare Update 2
ObamaCare: My Latest Update
More on Our Journey to Health, Brought to You by Obamacare
It’s Good to Be Insured: An ObamaCare Update
Obamacare in Practice: An Update
An Open Letter to My Friends Who Want to Repeal ObamaCare
Obamacare Update: Good, Bad, and Ugly
Not Repealed and Not Imploding: An Obamacare Update
ObamaCare Endures, and for That We Are Grateful